Avoid Costly Damage By Booking Your Next Chimney Sweeping or Cleaning With Us
Chimneys play an important role in your home, both in terms of function and aesthetics. If you’re running any type of fireplace, stove, or insert, having a chimney to vent out fumes is imperative, and ensuring it looks good can play a big part in improving the value of your home.
That’s why relying on a team of experts to take good care of your chimney is such a must. And booking regular chimney cleanings (sweepings) is one of the most effective ways to keep your system in good shape, ensuring things like chimney fires and masonry damage are avoided. Luckily for Pittsburgh homeowners, we’re here to handle it all.
What Is a Chimney Cleaning?
First things first, let’s talk about the term “chimney cleaning,” because we’ve found it can be a bit deceiving. The more appropriate term would be “chimney sweeping,” since – let’s be real here – there isn’t a chimney on earth that could be scrubbed spic and span after it’s been used for a whole season.
Rather, the goal is to sweep out any accumulated soot, debris, and creosote that could be putting your system and your household at risk. As your fireplace is used, these materials tend to build up, increasing the risk of fire hazards, gas leaks, and smoke backing into your home.
Because of that, booking regular chimney cleanings – or sweepings – is imperative to keeping your system functioning as safely and as efficiently as possible.
BOOKING REGULAR CHIMNEY CLEANINGS
is imperative to keeping your system functioning properly as safely and as efficiently as possible.
Does My Chimney Need Cleaning?
How do you know when it’s time to get this maintenance on the books? Well, the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) recommends annual inspections, ideally completed before the start of each burning season. And it’s during these that your sweep can determine whether or not a sweeping should be completed.
Other signs that you’re due for a chimney sweeping or cleaning include:
- Notable soot buildup. If you look in your chimney and spot a thick layer of soot or creosote, we’d recommend giving us a call, so we can look things over.
- Smoke backup. Is smoke backing up into your living space every time you get a fire going? It’s likely your flue is clogged up and needs a sweeping.
- Foul odors. Bad smells coming from your chimney usually indicate creosote buildup, and they can also be a sign of water damage – both of which require professional help.
- Airflow issues. If you’re having any problems with draft or airflow, this is typically a sign of a bigger issue – one of which might be a flue blockage.
- Falling debris. If you notice any type of debris coming into your home from the inside of your chimney, this means either damages are present or buildup needs to be cleared out.
- Signs of critters. Do you see, smell, or hear birds or other critters in your flue? They’ll need to be cleared out before any fires can be started.
Book Your Spot Now
There’s no time like the present to invest in proper chimney care and maintenance. For chimney repairs, chimney inspections, fireplace installations, and more in the Pittsburgh area, make Top Cat Chimney your go-to crew for it all.
Call or request your appointment online now.